Sunday, October 17, 2010

Professional Membership

One of the joys of coming home from the clinic each night used to be getting the mail. The fun has worn off as much of what fills the box are bills, political advertisements, or those pesky coupon mailers. Recently, however, I have been getting a little more than expected.

Joining the Club

A couple months ago, I signed up for a professional physician organization. My intent was to become a member so I could participate in their conference. I had no idea that I would also be enlisted to receive books, peer reviewed journals, newsletters, and more conference announcements. Since I do have some affinity to Emergency Medicine, this was a perfect organization to join. As a student it was relatively inexpensive and the resources have easily paid for themselves. My problem now is that I have little time to dedicate to their perusal despite the appeal.

From what I gather, the residency programs appreciate knowing that applying medical students are genuinely interested in their particular field. One method of gauging this interest is by learning which professional organizations we have joined. It shows a sense of dedication and desire to know more; things which residency programs tend to seek in applicants.

While my trips to the mailbox still gives me plenty to recycle, at least I now have some decent mail worth keeping. To any student who may be reading this, I would strongly encourage joining a professional organization in your field of interest. In addition to filling your mailbox with more literature than you can handle, it may actually serve you well come interview season.

Question of the Week
A 57-year-old obese man with a history of smoking, hyperlipidemia, and hypertension presents with pain in his legs while walking. On further questioning, he reveals that the pain starts in his buttocks and extends down his thighs and into his calves. Previously, the pain disappeared with the cessation of activity, but lately it persisted in his feet even at rest. His symptoms can best be explained by which of the following?

A. Decreased permeability of endothelium
B. Narrowing and calcification of vessels
C. Peripheral emboli formation
D. Thrombus formation
E. Weakening of vessel wall

Answer & Explanation

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share a suggestion, question or just leave your mark.