Sunday, April 17, 2011

Dreaming of Paradise

While most students are gearing up for spring break, good weather and time off from their workloads, I find myself in a little different scenario. I am spending my "vacation" recovering from surgery and preparing for board examinations...a whole new kind of fun.

A Breath of Fresh Air

Always wanting to take advantage of school vacations and explore foreign environments, I think I am a little bitter this time around. What was intended to be a month of nothingness, quickly became a month of hospitalization and due diligence for the practical portion of board exams. I made it out of the hospital alive, but somehow could not bring myself to study much. That was a good thing, because it was about the only real vacation time I experienced. Now to get back to the books and practicing to be a student doctor on the other side of the country. It has to be done, so I would rather get it behind me early, but I was hoping it wouldn't eat up so much of my vacation.

Why is it that when breaks come, it is so easy to choose the masochistic approach of work and little play? As a medical student, there is always the next step and the next hurdle. When we have time to sit back and get some R&R, we try to do so, but have anxious tendencies about getting things done. Maybe I am the only one that feels this way. This is certainly a Type A personality trait; always on the go, wondering what's next and overboard about everything. I need a real breather. I'm thinking something on a beach; away from this, away from reality and not tied down to a checklist of things needing attention. Maybe when fourth year is over.

Question of the Week
True or False: You can be on vacation and not feel like it is vacation at all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share a suggestion, question or just leave your mark.