Sunday, June 19, 2011

Good News Test Results

Despite the normal challenges of being on rotation, this week had at least one positive outcome. Like the good ol' days when report cards made their way to the refrigerator door, so did the test results of my most recent exam. It was partly for nostalgic effect and partly because this was by far the most expensive exam I had ever taken. Tabulated expenses were a total of $1,500!

COMLEX Level 2 PE

Being that this test was among the medical school series of board exams, it comes as no surprise that the results were a relief. The examination itself was not horrific, but the cost was ghastly. I was more worried about having to fork out another payment than studying all over again should I have to retake it. I now feel one step closer to graduation and have only one more exam remaining to make it out of medical school as a doctor. That is a really good feeling that is going to be much better when the next board examination is behind me.

Preparing for the exam was not as difficult as I expected. Classmates and I would get together a couple times each week for a month and perform timed practice scenarios from the book First Aid for the USMLE Step 2 CS. Taking turns as patient and doctor, we slowly got into a rhythm that would set the pace for exam day. The video orientation on the NBOME website provided test site details that helped to plan resources and expectations on test day. The rest was a matter of showing up for the exam on time and keeping calm. Faster than I expected, the day was over and weeks later I have my passing grade. Two board exams down, one more to go.

Question of the Week
A 19 year old male comes to your clinic complaining of a sore throat with no cough for the last three days. Vital signs are normal except an elevated temperature. On exam you note the patient has "kissing tonsils" with exudate and cervical lymphadenopathy. If this patient did not receive treatment at this time, he would be at risk for which of the following conditions?

A. Subacute Sclerosing Panencephalitis
B. Wegner's Granulomatosis
C. Membranoproliferative Glomerulonephritis
D. Rheumatic Heart Disease
E. Chédiak–Higashi Syndrome

Answer & Explanation

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Beth! It feels great to have one more test over and done with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have gone through your blog it was really very informative. I definitely share your views to my close friends keeps up the good work going.

    ReplyDelete

Share a suggestion, question or just leave your mark.