Sunday, November 22, 2009

Giving Thanks

In this season of thanksgiving, I reflect on that for which I am grateful. My supportive family and friends are at the top of my list along with endless opportunities to serve my community. I am usually not grateful for the ability to grow so much hair on my lip, but this month is a little different.

Local Volunteer Opportunities

With the little time we have outside of classes, it is refreshing to give back to the community on occasion. Since we are in medical school, it commonly comes in the form of optimizing health through sports physicals or public screenings. Recently, I joined my peers in a 5k walk for chronic hypoinsulinemia on behalf of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF). In addition to raising money for a good cause, we caught a little fresh air and exercise at the same time.

In an ongoing effort to address prostate cancer awareness, men all over the world are "changing the face of men's health" by growing a mustache for Movember. I joined my classmates as Student Physicians for Fuzzy Philtrums, with the goal of contributing our follicular skills to this beneficial cause. If you have a prostate or love someone who does, please contribute to this noteworthy cause by sponsoring my fuzzy philtrum with a small donation. All proceeds go to the Prostate Research Foundation in cooperation with the Lance Armstrong Foundation. (After clicking the above link, you will be able to provide your contribution information online, if you have questions, please leave a comment.) Your generosity is greatly appreciated.

Board Prep Question of the Week

A 29 year old female with type 1 diabetes goes on a trip to the Caribbean and loses her insulin on the way. Three days after her last insulin dose she goes to the hospital. Lab work shows hyperglycemia and increased anion gap metabolic acidosis. Which of the following pathways is mainly responsible for providing the substrate of her acid-base disorder?

A. B-oxidation of fatty acids
B. Catabolism of branched chain amino acids
C. Citric acid cycle
D. Gluconeogenesis
E. Glycogenolysis

Answer & Explanation

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share a suggestion, question or just leave your mark.