Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pediatric Medicine

Likely due to language disparities, my less-than-five-year-old patient sat quietly on the examination table patiently waiting for me to start. She was smart and well-versed in the way of the doctor's office. As I approached, she knew when to open her mouth, brush her hair back for access to her ears and when to take deep breaths for adequate pulmonary auscultation. Finally finished with my exam, I returned to my documentation and in her best thespian performance let out a wee little, "a-choo," followed by a finger to the nose for good measure. [Picture: Before The Shot, by Norman Rockwell]

Child's Play

This month on pediatrics I am observing all kinds of lost treasures from childhood. From true emotions that come out in smiles, laughter and screams which somehow get tucked away when we grow older to naive playing with other people never met, ringing bells just because they are there and making sounds for no other reason than to entertain the thoughts floating inside one's head. It brings thoughts of Patch Adams gallivanting through a pediatric unit striving to see just a glimpse of a smile.

I had to laugh a little when another patient in the middle of their numerous vaccinations screamed in horror, their mother encouraging manners and to say thank you. What child wants to show appreciation for a shot and multiple at that?! Nevertheless, it brought a smile to my face when the little voice, through tears, cried out a profound, "thank you!"

Children are trying to be good even though their world revolves around them sometimes. It bothers me when their parents get cloudy vision and choose to refuse care that would easily remedy problems because they lack time or money. Taking your child to the emergency department is not just a suggestion by your doctor, it is sound medical advice that merits following. It makes me wonder why they brought the child in the first place if all they are going to do is ignore our recommendations. So who is the egocentric one now? Clearly, parents are responsible for their child's well-being. Maybe it's time for parents to have their own time out and come to their senses.

While I observe their behavior and character, I wonder what has happened to the child in me. Have I suppressed it so much that it can no longer come out to play or do I encourage its development in the hopes of a happier, healthier me?

Question of the Week
While doing a routine well-child exam you notice your 7 year-old male patient has freckles in his axilla and multiple café-au-lait spots on his torso; 3 anteriorly and 4 posteriorly. There is mild genu varus, no scoliosis and no vision abnormalities. What is the most likely condition this patient has?

A. Lesch–Nyhan syndrome
B. Henoch–Schönlein
C. von Recklinghausen disease
D. Chediak Higashi syndrome
E. Tuberous sclerosis

Answer & Explanation

1 comment:

  1. The networking that occurred at monthly or annual meetings is now available on a daily basis. Meetings and relationship continue remaining an important essential for a healthcare professional to develop in building their business. del taco for diabetic menu

    ReplyDelete

Share a suggestion, question or just leave your mark.