Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Achievement

The sweet taste of achievement is immeasurable by anyone other than the one who obtains their own success.

Making it to the Top
Defined as "a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill," achievement is the result of a goal set and accomplished.

More than eight years ago, I embarked upon the collegiate journey as a lowly freshman without a notion of the things to come. During orientation of that first year, many made a trek to the over-sized, cemented 'Y' on BYU's eastern backdrop. It was by no means the hardest climb, nor the longest. Simply an afternoon walk that lasted a couple of hours. We stopped at the base of the 'Y' and never climbed the extra 380 feet to its top.

As we hiked back to our dorms I remember thinking to myself that I would one day hike the remaining 380 feet. Time passed quickly, and I never returned to finish what I had started. Now graduated, I had more time to see that my goal was not abandoned. On a day off, I set out to hike the 'Y' once again, this time all the way. In a matter of hours I was there, peering out over the valley, soaking in the sun, and feeling the cool valley breeze. Finally, I made it to the top.

Success
As cliche as it may seem, the mountainside hike was a moving experience. I made a goal and saw its successful completion. In a like manner, my education has carried similar feelings of accomplishment. Knowing from a young age where I wanted to be and shaping my life to get me there has been a rough ride.

With medical school only a couple months away, last week I made the final $1000 deposit reserving my position in Touro University's College of Osteopathic Medicine. Medical school is no longer a possibility, but now a reality.

In a couple months I will be making new goals and finding new 'mountains' to hike. The process will begin again taking me one step further than the last, starting the adventure all over.

This has been my success. Sure it may be expensive, have long hours, and stretch me beyond my current capacities, but it could not be more satisfying than seeing the achievement of my dreams become reality.

According to the definition used above, the recipe calls for a little effort, courage and skill. The first step is usually the hardest, often leading to the greatest rewards.

Set a goal for yourself and don't give up short of success. A big thanks to all those who have helped me along the way by means of support, education, encouragement, and understanding. You made this journey possible.

1 comment:

Share a suggestion, question or just leave your mark.