Sunday, May 4, 2008

Graduate of Higher Education


Certainly, one of the more significant accomplishments of my younger life, has been the completion of my undergraduate studies. This last week I participated in my University's graduation ceremonies and to my surprise, my good friend and I were featured the following week on the front page of the campus newspaper! My education at Brigham Young University spanned almost a decade, cost a bundle of money, and sadly moved me from my Chicago home. The experience was wonderful and definitely worth the effort.

Going the Distance
Just when it seems that my educational career has come to an end I am about to embark on even higher education, that will cost even more, and take almost as much time. It seems that the end of the road is so far from reach, but once again, the experience will be worth the effort. Of course I wonder if this is the right decision, or if there is another route to take. The calming thought comes when I remember that this road is one that fulfills a dream.

Work
Let's face it, being employed is very nice as it allows us to have fun when we want. Once finished with medical school, we will be working, a lot. It is easy to drowned ourselves in overtime now, but due to the inevitable burn-out it will cause, we must consider other activities for our "spare time."

Vacation
What to do then with my educational "layover?" You know, the time after undergraduate graduation and before graduate orientation. There are a few options that can better prepare for medicine that I would like to explore. As always, suggestions are welcome in the comments section.

Experience
Gaining more experience in your field will undoubtedly build confidence, character, and/or technical skills. Bellow are some possible opportunities to be explored in the medical field:

Some of these positions take a small amount of time to become certified or licensed. Start early and remain in the position for a significant amount of time. Keep a record of the dates as medical schools will want to know how long you have been there in addition to your responsibilities.

Fun
As medical school is known for its rigorous demands, time with loved ones and friends would be well used before matriculation. Whether a week-long trip to a novel destination or simply a night out on the town, your mental health depends on it. Enjoy a hobby, learn a new skill, or read that book you have always wanted to read but couldn't because you were studying your textbooks. Here is a small list of ideas to get you started:
Sure it may cost a little, but relatively speaking, it is a drop in the bucket compared to the years ahead. Get out there and have some fun.

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of a bike trip! ;-)

    I'm glad to have an eight-month break between graduating from undergrad and moving on to medical school. I've chosen to spend the time relaxing! I was married in January, and love having time away from school to spend with my wife. Pretty soon, time will be less plentiful than it is now, so I'm just milking the opportunity, and enjoying it with many muchness!

    ReplyDelete

Share a suggestion, question or just leave your mark.