Sunday, November 30, 2008

Gratitude


The Thanksgiving holiday was a much needed break from the rigor of constant studying. Now it is time to buckle up and hold on tight as the last couple weeks before our final block exams of the semester arrive. Playing 'catch up' and trying to absorb the upcoming information will be quite the task, but the winter interim provides enough days off to be an encouragement for focused studies now.

Thanksgiving

You would think that after months of dissection techniques have been explored and a variety of human tissues cut that some skill would be honed. As I attempted to carve my first turkey this year, I learned that human dissection and fowl carving are two completely different activities. As such, I had to censor my dinner table commentary to avoid unsettling the stomach contents of those in attendance. Despite holding in my joy for anatomical discovery, the feast could not have tasted better or come at a more appropriate time.

The opportunity to visit with family and reflect upon everything I have has left me truly grateful. It is often a simple thing to look at all the stress in life and wish it was lessened. I feel that the hard work we put into our goals and ambitions will often pay off with a greater sense of achievement when stress is overcome.

Medically Speaking

We are all indebted to those who have spent countless hours researching medicine throughout history. It is from their dedication that we have today's medical knowledge. More importantly are those who suffer from illness and seek care. Their trust in the medical system allows the practice to become better and gives a purpose for the continual research.

These patients will ultimately make us the physicians we are trying so hard to become. Whether difficult cases or unstable personalities, they have the power to shape our medical experience for good or bad. I often think back to the feelings I had while working in the Emergency Room with patients. With my limited knowledge and experience I was still able to make a difference in the lives of others through medicine. The smallest of compliments or gestures of appreciation often had a significant impact on my opinion of healthcare. Although needless to say, I am looking forward to working with the patients again in the clinical setting. In the meantime, my family and friends seem to appreciate what I bring to the table, and for that I am grateful.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share a suggestion, question or just leave your mark.