Sunday, September 25, 2011

Residency Interview - The First

Just coming off of night shifts, I had a difficult time falling asleep and the anxiety of an interview the next day didn't make things any better. In total I think I may have slept four hours before my alarm sounded at 3am.

St. Barnabas Hospital

I shuffled about my morning activities while the world around me still slept and the crickets chirped. It had been a while since I knotted a tie, but this morning it went on with no problem. I was out the door by 4am and on the road for an early morning cruise to New York. My destination, St. Barnabas Hospital in the Bronx, roughly three hours away. Traffic was nonexistent and the morning fog was the worst obstacle. The hurried feel of New York was obvious as I approached the hospital with people mulling about and a full ambulance bay. I had arrived for my first residency interview.

I was fascinated by the inherent antiquity of the buildings, it gave a sense of being well established in the community. The only person in a suit, I stood out like a sore thumb among those in scrubs and street clothes as I walked the campus. It was apparent that I was there on official business. Shortly after finding the morning meeting place, the faculty lectures and student case reports consumed the early hours of this program introduction. These were followed by a tour of the emergency department and hospital before grabbing lunch that was provided for Employee Appreciation Day.

While it was difficult to digest lunch due to the building anxiety, we conversed with residents and other interviewees about the program. One by one we made our way into the "hot seat" for our personal interviews in front of a panel made up of two residents and two faculty members. The questions were focused around the program and my submitted application, both of which I felt comfortable discussing. I was then given time to ask about the program and before I knew it, we were shaking hands and parting ways. It was a breath of fresh air to have my first interview behind me. I definitely enjoyed the experience and look forward to more like it as I explore the world of emergency medicine residencies.

Question of the Week
You have diagnosed a patient with a terminal illness or must give grave news. How would you share this new information with your patient?

Suggested Consideration

4 comments:

Share a suggestion, question or just leave your mark.