Sunday, September 4, 2011

Special Occasions

Some 2,500 miles away, my grandparents will be getting up in a few hours to go about their daily activities including opening their email and finding this delivered to their inbox. They just celebrated a wedding anniversary and today is Grandma's birthday. I want to dedicate this post to them as they have been so supportive throughout the years and especially during medical school.

Grandparents

The first chapter of my career in medicine started on their basement stairs when I was just a child. As the story goes, I am almost done with another chapter in this never ending book. In days, I will be taking another board exam and in weeks I will be starting interviews for residency. Like their significant milestone anniversaries, I am trudging past a few of my own, making small advancements that bring me steps closer to a goal I've had for so long. My grandparents have been there every step of the way, cheering me on, following my progress and feeding the cereal craved fiend inside. If I ever needed something, they were the first to offer a helping hand and always graciously generous when meeting those needs. It's too bad they are already taken, because I think everybody could benefit from the best grandparents in the world.

Through retrospective analysis, I have come to realize one of my weaknesses over the years. In short I have become a "yes" man. When a person requests my services, I have the hardest time turning them away and do what I can to provide for their need. Now I think I know where that comes from. So, Grandma and Grandpa, I want to thank you for all your support, for giving selflessly to see me succeed and for having the best cereal and treat stash I could ever imagine. You two are fantastic and I love you for who you have been in my life and the lives of others. Thank you for your examples of what genuinely caring people can do in this world. I hope you had a wonderful wedding anniversary and Grandma, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I love you both and thank you for being such an integral part of who and where I am.

Question of the Week
A medical student writes a blog about his fantastic grandparents who are celebrating some incredible moments in life. Which of the following is true about this dedicated, hard working couple?

A. They are celebrating their 62nd wedding anniversary
B. Crossword puzzles are no match for them
C. They are the best grandparents ever
D. They still know how to have a good time
E. All of the above

Answer & Explanation

3 comments:

  1. Very, very wonderful. Congrats to your grandparents!

    Treasure them for how ever long God allows you to have them. Grandparents are wonderful gifts from God, in my opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    I've been reading your blog for the last couple of months and even though i dont know you I am super excited for you! Medical School appears to be the most terrifying experience, but your recounts makes the dark unknown area a little brighter! Wishing you the best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth - I couldn't agree with you more

    Anon - Thanks for your thoughts and readership. I always appreciate hearing from readers. I would agree that medical school is a terrifying experience, but for some reason it works. Maybe because it's finally realizing what I have always wanted, even though I knew it would be tough. Best!

    ReplyDelete

Share a suggestion, question or just leave your mark.