Sunday, January 22, 2012

In Stitches

Eat, sleep, and breath medicine. That's how medical school is for so many who live through it. We get so caught up in the world of bacteria and mutant cells that we forget to live a little. The years in medical school are filled with crazy first experiences and stories that we would be wise to remember forever. Some moving, others hope inspiring and then there are those that just leave you in stitches.

Medical Memoirs

It wasn't long ago that I was traveling the country with countless hours on flights and layovers. I felt fortunate and honored that Dr. Anthony Youn had contacted me about his latest publication In Stitches, his medical school memoir. It gave me something to do during those long trips and kept me amused as I could so easily relate to his medical training experiences.

Now, I'm not normally much of a reader, but I was surprisingly drawn to the reminiscing of a fellow medical professional. A clever chronology of events, short stories and laughable themes kept me reading until I finished only days after beginning. Dr. Youn's adventure, and misadventure, portrayed the development of his character through inner trials and external challenges. As a young man slaving away to make his father happy, he realized along with his father that happiness can only come from following our own dreams. Achieving big goals requires a sense of confidence, boldness and stamina; all of which develop over time through humorous and touching events.

It was the perfect time for me to read his tales as I had been through the classwork, clinicals and would soon be starting residency. As a practicing plastic surgeon, he lives in the light at the end of the tunnel that is finally coming into view for me. No matter how difficult school becomes, at least there will be some great stories in the end. I think he sums it up well in this small paragraph:
Thanks to my small circle of close friends, my focus, work ethic, and drive to succeed, I slowly grew up. I entered medical school a shy, skinny, awkward nerd with no confidence, no game, and no clue. I came out, four years later, a man.
For someone entertaining the thought of attending medical school, current students, or one just wanting a glimpse into the life of a medical student, I would recommend this memoir.

Question of the Week
When inflating the balloon on a Foley catheter what is the proper solution to use and why?

Answer & Explanation

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share a suggestion, question or just leave your mark.